Altano – Our Inspiration and Namesake
A racehorse with a unique story
From invalid to champion – that is the best way to describe his career. While his track record makes impressive reading, a successful racing career wasn’t always on the cards for Altano.
With a displacement of the soft palate and a cartilage-bone fragment in his fetlock joint, the gelding had no future in endurance sport. He was considered a hopeless case. The breeder gifted the thoroughbred to a vet who believed in the horse. Altano underwent surgery, treatment and went on to make a full recovery. The vet’s trust in the power of medicine and the strong character of the horse was rewarded many times over by Altano’s numerous successes in international races. Today, Altano is enjoying his retirement and is active as a riding horse.
The name Altano represents both the origins and the future of our group. It stands for the sound medical expertise with which we care for our patients and it also reflects our conviction that every animal deserves a chance to be treated and healed – because every animal is precious.
|Born:||31st January 2006|
|Pedigree:||By Galileo out of Alanda by Lando|
13 x 1st place
incl. 6 wins in group races
6 x 2nd place
2 x 3rd place
|Greatest success:||Prix du Cadran (Group 1)
in Longchamp 2013
• We give our best every day for the welfare of animals.
• We are international pioneers of modern and sustainable veterinary medicine.
• As the employer of choice, we are a first-class employer for our employees.
• Our work sets new standards for employees and clients.
With experience, appreciation and innovation, we ensure the best possible treatment and care for each animal.
At our centres of excellence, we create individual opportunities for all of our employees to develop and thrive.
- Bring together of the best veterinary clinics and practices
- Bundle specialist knowledge at centres of competence
- Exploit synergies
- Be successful together
- Treat every animal with the utmost respect
- Retain employees and promote skills
- Realise fair wages and prices
- Secure the future of clinics and employees
- Establish the highest level of medical care
- Derive treatment opportunities from human medicine
- Utilise interdisciplinary knowledge transfer
- Minimise commercial risk
Structure of the Altano Group
- Our strength lies in the autonomy of the clinics.
- Our strong network includes clinics and practices in 5 country groups, each with a Medical Officer, Finance Manager and an Operations Manager.
- Regular Country Medical Boards guarantee the transfer of knowledge within each of the country groups.
- The chairpersons of the Country Medical Boards form the International Medical Board, which facilitates cross-country exchange.
- Specialists from all clinics and practices form task forces that focus on a range of topics in their specialties and present the results at the Altano Academy.
- In the same way that the operating and treatment room is the heart of any clinic, the Altano Academy is the heart of the Altano Group